PhotoScan is a scanner app from Google Photos that lets you scan and save your favorite printed photos using your phone’s camera. PhotoScan by Google Photos is an official Google app to scan pics using your Android camera. With no frills. With the right perspective. And with auto-cropping of the frames.
Picture perfect and glare free
Don’t just take a picture of a picture. Create enhanced digital scans, wherever your photos are.
- Get glare-free scans with an easy step-by-step capture flow
- Automatic cropping based on edge detection
- Straight, rectangular scans with perspective correction
- Smart rotation, so your photos stay right-side-up no matter which way you scan them
Scan in seconds
Capture your favorite printed photos quickly and easily, so you can spend less time editing and more time looking at your bad childhood haircut.
Safe and searchable with Google Photos
Back up your scans with the Google Photos app to keep them safe, searchable, and organized. Bring your scans to life with movies, filters, and advanced editing controls. And share them with anyone, just by sending a link.
Using PhotoScan by Google Photos is super easy. Just place the pic you want to scan on a flat surface, focus with your device’s camera, and follow the instructions on the screen. The whole process takes a few seconds.
All the pics you scan using this procedure get stored on your device memory and saved in the same folder. In any case, if the scan isn’t up to scratch, just undo the changes and do the scan again.
PhotoScan by Google Photos is a super useful app to scan your hardcopy photos in seconds. The app can’t do miracles, though. You need to center the image to be scanned and make sure you have good lighting if you want to get optimal results.
PhotoScan by Google Photos is an archetype app of Google, hence, its user interface is just as minimal. For this demonstration, let’s jump into the app and find our way around it.
- Launch the application and the camera frame asks you to position the picture within the prescribed field view
- Once you click the shutter button at the bottom, four circles appear at the boundary of the image
- The app asks you to move the phone towards the circles.
- As you complete aligning the camera with the boundary circles, the app produces an optimized image.
You now have a print-ready scanned copy of the physical photo. You can take multiple photos in a single shot and save them together to create a photo collage of sorts as well.